Thursday, February 14, 2008

Day 81 - 87

THE WEEKEND

This past weekend (Feb. 9 - 10) was the best I have felt since before Christmas. I felt well enough to go to church on Sunday. It was the first time I have been able to go in 2 months. I have to admit, as I began to sing the first song of praise I teared up. What privileges we take for granted. I attended the 9:00 am service and went home and rested. After the 2nd service, Scott called me and asked if I felt up to going out for lunch. I did. Two treats in one day! Actually, I had three treats in one day. I ordered french fries instead of baked potatoes. We don't eat fries very often anyway, but this is the first time in over 4 months. The highlight of the day occured as we were returning to the van. As you may recall, Sunday was an extremely windy day. Scott helped me to the van and stepped ahead to open the door. As I reached for the door for support, a strong gust of wind removed my "hair" and scooted it across the parking lot. Luckily another van was parked about 3 spaces over and stopped the frollicking wig. Otherwise, we might still be trying to track it down. Unfortunately, no one had a video camera. It was a great moment for a good laugh.

TUESDAY, FEB. 12

We went to Hamilton for the usual bloodwork and check-up with the doctor. I met with Dr. Susan Gudelis this time. She assists Dr. Tozer. The chemo is continuing to be effective. From the other test results that have come back, everything seems to be okay. I suspect my body is just reacting to all the chemicals that it is being subjected to. It appears that on the whole, taxol may be a little easier on me than the other 2 chemo drugs.

I also had an appointment with the radiation oncologist. The medical team's plan is that after the last chemo treatment, I am given a few weeks to recover and then I am scheduled for surgery. I will see Dr. Liaconis, the surgeon, Mar. 05. After surgery and another few weeks to heal, radiation treatments would begin - five times a week for 5 weeks. The van will probably be able to find its own way to Hamilton by then.


WEDNESDAY, FEB.13

Andrea was able to take me to the Juravinski Centre for my 3rd taxol treatment.We were there for a little over 4 hours. Everything went well. I did develop the flush on my face and neck half way through the treatment, but it is probably a mild reaction to the steroid I have to take to prevent reaction to the taxol. This is the third time I have had the "flush" and it clears up in a couple of days with Benadryl. The worst part of that is the drowsiness from the Benadryl - nothing worth complaining about. Feb. 27 is scheduled to be the final chemo treatment.

It has been an "interesting" journey; one of the best parts has been exercising the discipline of resting in Him today. He provides the grace I need for today. He does not supply the grace I need for what I wonder about the future. That will come when it becomes today. You may have noticed that I state what the medical plan is. I do not take ownership of that plan because the plans for my future are in God's hands and ultimately, only He knows what tomorrow holds. What overwhelming peace and joy are ours when we train ourselves to rest in Him. Like physical exercise, refusing to mentally go down roads before we even come to the intersection takes time to develop, but as we make the choice and ask for His help to just trust Him, we become stronger. And like physical training, the exercise has to continue. I still have weak moments but am learning much more quickly to surrender to Him. If I am lacking peace, I am the one who robbed myself. Thank you again for your prayers. They carry me on my weak days.

6 comments:

mbepic said...

After reading the part about you having french fries, I could not help but think that "God will get you for that" and then the next thing I read is that he did, your wig blew off.

We are so happy that you are feeling better and can see the humour in these things.

We are glad to know that you are taking one day at a time; you take care in knowing that many of your friends and family are praying for you and your future.

Cousin Diane and Roy

Anonymous said...

Dearest Joy,

What a pleasure it was to look down from the platform on Sunday and see you there, in your usual place worshipping Him with such joy and peace radiating from you. THere are times when I enter into worship at church as part of the service, not really focusing 100% on the meaning of the words we are singing. That morning, I caught myself starting to do that again until I looked out and saw you. Seeing you, I realised I was looking at a living example of what I was signing about, trusting in God's love and thankful for His promise and gift!

During these past many months, I have often asked the Lord to reveal His purpose for the journey you and my Mom are on instead of trusting in the His plan for all of us. Thank you for being a living example to me on how I should be. I love both you and Scott (my other family) and I am so thankful that He has placed you in our lives.
God Bless!!
Fran

Anonymous said...

Hi there Joy. I am so glad that things are going well for you. I am so thankful for you and the example you are being to all of us. I love you so much for showing us that it is important for us to still trust in God no matter what may come our way. It was great to hear that you where feeling well enough to make it out to church on Sunday. It is funny how we tend to take things for grated sometimes. Your prayers continue to be with us. Love ya lots. Hugs to you.
Rose

Eva said...

Hi Joy
I am glad that things are going good for you and My prayers and thoughts are with you all the time and I am glad that your Medical people have planes set for you I know that things will go great for you as God is with you and he always will be as you never complane about anything and you always have a great smile and a friendly word for everyone you talk with May God Bless you all the time
Love Eva

Anonymous said...

Wigs are so overated!
Julia Gilman's mom here. She's been quite the trooper through her Chemo although she still has 2 years of treatments 2x a week. You are blessed to be done so soon. All our treatment is through the McMaster 3F clinic. With her Leukemia being standrad risk we do not have to do the radiation at Jurvanski.

Our Prayers and thoughts are with you guys and sometimes we notice the same struggles (with reactions, how drowsy Benedryl makes one feel, and keeping blood track of blood counts.) Most of all that Tomorrow is another day!

Love from The Gilman Girls!

Matt Vaandering said...

praying for you:)