Saturday, November 24, 2007

Day 3 & 4

I offered to update the blog for mom today... :-)

Friday - Day 3

Mom was having some abdominal pain through the night. The chemo and medications have irritated her hiatus hernia so it's causing some discomfort in her stomach. She's also been having the odd queasy moment...but overall (considering all of the possible side effects) is doing very well!

The CCAC nurse came to the house to begin the Neupogen injections. This is the insanely priced medication that mom mentioned in the previous blog. The purpose of it is to produce white blood cells which help the body fight infection. 2 days after every chemo treatment she will receive the injections for 8 consecutive days. The plan is for the nurse to teach mom (and/or dad and I) how to do the injections so that mom will have freedom and not be dictated to by the nurse's schedule.

Mom has also found that her appetite has decreased. She has been eating smaller portions but more frequently - not to mention the 8-12 glasses of water she must drink each day. Mouth sores are a common side effect to chemo so she also has to make sure that she rinses her mouth after every meal.

By evening, mom was very tired.

Saturday - Day 4

Today, I had the privilege of spending the entire day with mom. Dad and Joel (my brother) had to go to Barrie to my grandfather's retirement home to finish packing some of his things. He is currently in the hospital and is in the process of being moved to a nursing home. **Thank you Uncle Keith for going with them and lending a hand!**

Today was a day of up and down moments. Mom had a good morning. Her queasiness had pretty much subsided and her appetite was much better. I made her some soup and she ate the most she has since coming home from chemo on Wed! .... of course it must have something to do with my cooking! haha

The nurse came in at lunch time to give her the 2nd shot of Neupogen. They inject it into her leg. This one hurt more than yesterday's. It was a rough afternoon. Her stomach continued to give her discomfort and by mid-afternoon she was experiencing flu-like symptoms - chilled, achy etc. This is a side effect to Neupogen. She took her temperature just to be sure she didn't have a fever and it was normal. By dinner time her chill was almost gone and she was well enough to eat.

Before the day ended we had an enjoyable moment planned for mom ... a manicure! They suggest that all chemo patients have a manicure before treatment begins to reduce the chance of hangnails which could cause infection...but what woman needs an excuse! We knew she had only a few days before her white blood cell count would drop so I took the opportunity to ask a friend to come by and give her a manicure. **Thanks Jen!**

I just checked in with mom again...she is quite tired but feeling "pretty decent".

Thank you for your words, prayers and kindness. We read the comments you've left often and it has been so encouraging for us. We know that mom has experienced next to no side effects to this point because of your prayers...we can feel them! So on behalf of our family, thank you for your continued support!

Andrea (Joy's daughter)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to know what to say when trials like this arise...
So, know that I am praying for you, and know that I love you like you were my own mother :)

Ashley

Matt Vaandering said...

i hope and pray that the side effects continue to be minimal and that your friends and family keep spoiling you with manicures and whatever else you may desire!

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Joy, It's me Christina, Mike, and the girls. We have been praying for you each and every day. I'm sure you have read these two scriptures before but, they always encourage us...
2Samuel 22:3 and Eph 6:10-11
As well one of my favorit poems is Foot Prints in the Sand
"The Lord replied, My precious, child. I love you and I would never, never leave you during your times of trial and suffering. When you saw only one set of footprints...it was then that I carried you!" Remember to always trust in the Lord with all your might and strenght, He has such a great purpose and plan for you! Tell Uncle Scott he is in our prayers too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy, first time looking at your blog, what a wonderful idea. Just wanted you to know that we love you and we are all praying for you and the family daily. Darlene

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog brings back memories for me.
.....24 weeks of treatment
at 500.00 a week
...3 times a wk self injections, & pills
arranging financing.
flu like symptoms, tired, chilled, no appetite, rashes, and acing and sores.
.....really brings back memories
Also reminds me how loved I felt by the Lord, and how cared for by the lord my Father and others!!
I know that you feel the same
Just sit back and take all the love with no feelings of owing anything or anyone back.
loved your picture! the smile is worth a thousand words
We continue to pray.
The Lord is your good shepherd.
"morning by morning, new mercies I see!!"
He'll give you.....Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow!!
Ingrid and joe

Valorosa said...

Keep up the good fight ...
So glad you have loving hearts around you.
Praying ... :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy!

Brian and I want you to know that we are praying for you. We have been declaring Owen Sound to be a 'cancer free zone' at our prayer meetings and we are doing the same over your life.

Joy is a cancer free zone!!

Miss you much and love you too!

Tina, Brian, and Jordan :)

Anonymous said...

I am a nursing student. We have an assignment to do on the day and the life of a person going thru chemotherapy. I am asking if I may have permission to use your story as my class assignment. I find it raw, supportive and compelling. Respectfully, Kimberly

Paul and Chris said...

And so the journey begins...
with a positive attitude and a willingness to surrender the details of the trip to our good God,you'll go places girl!!
Love and prayer
The Moores

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy,
Sorry to hear you're having to go through this, however I'm sure with all the prayers (& attention)that are coming your way....all will be well.May God strengthen & encourage you.
Ted & I are praying for you as well.
God Bless, Ted & Jeanette

Joy said...

@ Kimberly:
Thank you for your interest in my story. Feel free to contact me by email at joyfulglee@hotmail.com and we can discuss further questions you may have.
Joy