Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pre-surgery day?

Today mom went to the Juravinski centre to meet with Dr. Whelan, the radiation oncologist. After speaking with Dr. Liaconis, mom's surgeon, they concluded that surgery is NOT an option at this time. In just a few days, the tumor has grown back to the size it was prior to chemo. This is not a typical response after chemo. (Mom says that's because she's an exceptional woman - I have to agree!) Instead, they are hoping to begin radiation treatments next week.

Mom and dad had to stick around Juravinski for the afternoon for preparations for radiation. After numerous Cat scans, repositionings and X-marker spots she now possesses not ONE but FOUR new tatoos!!! (we always knew she had a little rebel in her!) She will be scheduled for an information class in the next few days and they hope to begin radiation treatments some time next week...yet to be determined. For now, all we know is that they expect the treatments to last 5 days a week for 5 weeks, possibly more. All of this is pure speculation as they do not know how she will respond to the treatments.

So for now, we rest assured that God is in control and only HE knows the future. Although this path may not have been one that we anticiptated, God will still use all of it for His glory. He has written the book with our life story. Every chapter, every paragraph, every sentence He wrote. It comes together creating beautiful poetry, pointing to the awesomeness of our Saviour!


10 comments:

Eva said...

hi Joy I am Praying for you and My thoughts are always with you I know that god will be with you and help you through this time I am sorry to hear that the tumor has grown again but i know that god has a reason for everything and that he will be with you through this the whole time Love Eva

Anonymous said...

We're continuing to pray!!

Love, Rachel & Bram

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy. I just wanted to send my love to you and Scott. I love ya's and we continue to pray and believe with you. Continue to lean on Jesus. He will bring you through what ever his plans are. It is important to remember that God will never bring through more then we can handle. I love ya lots Sis. xoxo
Chris, Rose and Girls.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy,

You and your family are such great people. You know I love your girls soooooooo much. You're in our prayers! You are each such and inspiration to me!!!!

Love & Blessings!!
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Barrie shook your hand at church tonight and reminded me although we have been praying for you everyday we have not let you know. I apologize for my computer non-skills and am praying that you get this message of assurance of our love always and continued prayers. We both think the world of you and Scott. Much love, Barrie & Anne

Matt Vaandering said...

I'll pray that you respond well to the radiation, or that the cancer disappears and you don't need radiation:)

Anonymous said...

My heart aches for your suffering but my spirit is soaring because I see God's strength, grace, and peace in your life more than ever!
You are truly a testimony of the awesomeness of God! I love you, Sis. Rhonda

Anonymous said...

thankyou to pastor scott for leading us to beleiving in prayer..we now pray for you joy as so many prayed for us..luffman family

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy! When life gives you a twist or turn, make sure you know Who's in control! We are all praying for you here at the Cowherd house. Keep the faith and God Bless you and your family:)

Corinne

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy
Although we've never met, I have worked with Scott in my years working for Al Saunders at National Office. Now I'm at the Western District office and just want you to know that we continue to lift you up in prayer when we have our daily morning devotions in the office. May God lift you up in His loving arms and give you the peace that only He can give at a time like this. Our prayers are also with your family as they walk this path with you.
God bless, Lynn