Monday, January 7, 2008

Day 47 & 48

I decided to write an update for mom. She intended on writing a couple of blogs a week but has found it difficult to find the energy. So...you're stuck with me!! :-D

Mom had her 4th chemo treatment last Wednesday (January 2nd). Usually, the 4th day after her treatment is her most difficult day...this was the case yet again on Sunday.

Her stomach pain and exhaustion level has increased with each chemo treatment. Yesterday was probably the worst day of pain she has had so far. But as always, mom was a trooper, never wanting to impose on anyone... so I "forced" my help on her :-) By Sunday evening, the pain was easing off and tiredness was her biggest complaint.

This morning on my way to work, I stopped in to see how mom was feeling. She was being served breakfast made by my dad (he's quite the cook now) and said she was feeling much better.

After work, I came back to the house and helped dad finish off supper (good salad dad...if you don't say so yourself haha)! Mom mentioned that she had a few enjoyable visits today with family/friends, for which she was thankful. She was feeling a little chilled so she decided to take her temperature and found that it was elevated. The cancer clinic has advised her that because her immune system has been compromised by chemo, she must be sure to watch for any sign of a fever which could indicate a virus or infection that her body would be unable to fight off. They have told her to call them whenever she has a fever of 100.5F (38C). By later this evening, her temperature had not come down so she decided to call the Juravinski clinic to find out what she should do. They told her that if it goes any higher or she becomes any worse tonight, she is to call the Brantford General Hospital and head up there immediately. After dad had called me, to let me know, and was about to hang up, I could hear mom in the background saying..."Tell her I'm fine - I'll be ok..." :-)

Mom's faith and courage is such an example to all of us. Many of you have expressed to us how encouraging this blog has been...and yes, she really has been as strong as she sounds in her blogs!!

Mom - I am so proud of you. For always thinking of everyone else and never wanting to impose...for always finding that little extra bit of energy for a smile (especially for your granddaughter)...for always wanting to end things on a "positive note" even when you feel like crap...and most of all for being such an amazing example of unwaivering faith in God even when things don't make sense...

Love you...
Andrea xo

12 comments:

Paul said...

Praying for you...

Matt Vaandering said...

im praying too

Elizabeth S said...

I'm continuing to believe God to meet EVERY need that you have, Joy, and to give you "joy in the journey". Your blog sure does encourage those of us who read it and now it's our turn to encourage you.
Your recent pic sure looks cute!!! Your smile says it all . . . You are loved by an awesome God as well as your awesome family/friends . . . faith in God MOVES MOUNTAINS and He is on your side. PTL! Much, much love,
Elizabeth

Eva said...

hi Joy I hope your Fever breaks real soon and you start to feel better I am praying for you Love Eva

Cinemotional said...

You continue to inspire me beyond words! Love and prayers always :)

p.s.- I'm lovin' the paper hats ladies -- very designer diva!

mbepic said...

Hi Joy

This is Diane's other half (Roy); Diane and I both read your blog and pray you have good days and for your recovery.
When I read Andrea's description of how you are handling this in a strong way........I can't help but think, that is the 'Barber' way, never complaining and thinking more about others than yourself. After 37 years of being married to a 'Barber', I have learned that this attribute is quite prevalent.

You take care and we will continue to think about you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being a true testimate of God's love and grace! You truly are an inspiration! May Jesus bless you and keep you in the shelter of His wings:) Praying for you and your family!

Corinne

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy, Andrea, Scott,
yes, after reading this blog, Joy's mom comes to mind......
Obviously Joy is much like her mother. Full of faith and non-complaining!
we continue to lift you up to the Good shepherd! the Great physician!
Trusting Jesus to cheer you on thru all these treatments.
Andrea, you're a good daughter!
keep up the blogging...so nice to read the updates.
Ingrid m

Anonymous said...

Hi there Joy. I was just checking in to see how things are going and also to see what your needs are today. I also wanted to once again remind you that I am praying for you and I love you and am thinking about you. I pray that your fever comes down soon and you are feeling better. I also wanted to tell you I think you are amazing. I always knew this was the case mind you. :)
But thankyou for being such a great example to all of us. For being a great witness of what it is like to totally trust in God.
I know it is not always easy but you have proved to us time and time again, It is possible.
Always remember I am here for anything you ever need.
Love ya.
Rose

sarahlink said...

Wow, Joy! What an amazing example and testimony you are to all! Such silly complaints over meaningless things I have throughout the day...you are all what we should strive to be! You and your family are in are thoughts and prayers! And congrats on becoming a Grandma again soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy and Scott;
We have been praying for you since we first heard of the joy's illness. Our congregation at Bethel is keepin your in our prayers. We thank the Lord that HE is good and that His mercies endure forever. May you continue to know this.
blessings to you all,
Abram and Linda Blaak

Anonymous said...

My thought are with you day and night Aunt joy & Uncle scott!! all the best with this troubling time!! keep the faith and never give in!! one thing comes to mind.....THE SECRET! think it!! believe it!! receive it!!
M. Bacon