Thursday, December 20, 2007

Chemo #3 - Day 24 - 30

I'm sorry I haven't blogged sooner - I know many of you have been wondering how I am doing. Unfortunately, when my energy drains so does my ability to think through what I'm wanting to say.

Tedra & Jesse came down for the weekend. Mikaela spent some quality time with Auntie Tedra Saturday afternoon and stayed for a sleep-over Saturday night. Sunday - "snow day" - ended up being a wonderful family day which I enjoyed very much. Tedra & Jesse stayed until Monday morning due to the weather. I noticed over the weekend (as did everyone else) that my hair has begun to fall out more quickly.

Tuesday (Day 28) - I returned to Juravinski for lab work and follow up with the doctor. Andrea was planning to come with us but Monday evening Mikaela developed a high fever and was really not feeling well. The doctor filling in for Dr. Tozer said that the tumor has continued to shrink but not as much this time as they might have hoped. The redness of the skin is also continuing to fade.

I was feeling pretty good, so Scott and I did a little shopping in Hamilton. The wind blowing my hair seemed to make even more fall out. I came home and took a nap. This gave me enough energy to attend the church board & staff dinner that evening. I haven't been able to be at church for some time...it felt good to be with church family again!

Wednesday (Day 29) - Early morning, I woke up with diarrhea and nausea. I seemed to have a lot of indigestion, but as I walked it out the nausea passed. My temperature was normal but I was wondering if I was going to have to skip my chemo treatment. I called ahead to the cancer clinic, so they wanted me to see Dr. Tozer prior to chemo. By the time I arrived to Juravinski, I was feeling better other than being tired (the new "norm"). Dr. Tozer confirmed that it wasn't chemo related but either viral or something I had eaten. He left it up to me to decide whether to go ahead with chemo or not. I felt I should continue and he was pleased.

This time, I had a nurse who is from Brantford. She was warm and friendly and we had a good chat. She also shared some helpful information. The treatment proceeded as usual.

On the way home we made a stop and after a couple of hours I left with a new "friend" to wear home. Nothing to worry about in windy weather now! Stay tuned for the new me :-)

Earlier in the morning, Scott had received a phone call from Barrie. A room has opened up in a nursing home in Brantford and they will move his father Thursday morning!!! Christmas miracle #1 has arrived!

Today (Thursday) is a real low energy day but only minor side effects. Scott, Andrea and Mikaela have been over to welcome grandpa to Brantford - please pray that he adjusts well.

Yesterday, when I was feeling rough, I started worrying about what the upcoming days would hold...suddenly I realized where my thoughts were taking me. "Father", I prayed, "forgive me for failing to rest in you today. You have spared me from much. Help me just to trust you, moment by moment." While at the clinic, I talked with a couple of other ladies going through treatments. Their side effects were much more severe than mine. How faithful God is. He carries us through every circumstance and it causes me to say...


How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enough
How amazing is Your love
How can I keep from shouting Your name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing

[Chris Tomlin]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joy: We love you, you are an inspiration. Praying God's blessing on you and the family over this CHRISTmas season.

Love...

Rachel Van den Heuvel

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy, You fill me with faith in our Lord and Savior to see how strong and determined that you are. So may Jesus richly bless you and Scott and the family though this Christmas season.
Sincerely Charlie & Heidi

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy,

God truly is amazing!
I thank God that He always shows Himself faithful in EVERY situation. Wishing you and your family a ver Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year. Maybe we will have a chance to stop in over the holidays to say hi in person!
Love Tina, Brian and Jordan

Corinne Elizabeth Cowherd said...

Joy: You truly are a pillar of the Lord's strength. We are all blessed to know you. May Jesus continue to shine through you during your good days and your difficult days.

You are most defiantly a shining example that if you continue to draw on His strength and He can move mountains...even ones called cancer!

God Bless,

Corinne<><